BEIRUT, LEBANON (1:02 A.M) – Footage shows disturbing images of some of the victims, including children and babies burnt beyond recognition as workers sift through the rubble to search for any remaining survivors and clear the debris. Some reports have put the death toll from the airstrike at around 230.
Rudaw correspondent in Mosul Hevidar Ahmed said that 130 of the people were killed inside one house alone, with a further 100 killed inside, most of them believed to be civilians.
“Some of the dead were taking shelter inside the homes,” said the correspondent.
A US Central Command spokesperson has admitted that the US-led coalition carried out several airstrikes targetting IS forces in the region, but there has been no comment on the specific death toll so far.
The military operation against the self-proclaimed Islamic State (IS; formerly ISIS/ISIL) in Mosul began on October 17 last year.
ISIS captured the city in 2014 and the offensive is now fronted by the US-led anti-IS coalition and the Iraqi army, who have been carrying out airstrikes in the city. Thousands of Mosul residents have been forced to flee the fighting as the campaign escalates.