BEIRUT, LEBANON (11:20 A.M.) – The U.S. is seeking to block Turkey’s upcoming invasion of northern Syria so that Ankara does not harm the Kurdish people, U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo told Newsmax on Thursday.
“We still have lots of things to work with on the Turks,” Pompeo told Newsmax on Thursday.
“Not only the withdrawal, but all of the other elements that the President laid out: the importance of ensuring that the Turks don’t slaughter the Kurds; the protection of religious minorities there in Syria. All of those things are still part of the American mission set,” Pompeo continued.
Last month, U.S. President Donald Trump made a surprise announcement that all American troops in Syria would be withdrawn from the country.
Trump’s announcement would be met with a great deal of criticism from neocon Republican politicians, including South Carolina Senator Lindsey Graham.
However, despite the pressure from politicians within his own party, Trump said that all U.S. troops in Syria would be withdrawn within the near future.