(TASS) The United States has handed over to Russia the data on the location of US-controlled opposition units in Syria, the Russian Defense Ministry said Friday.
The ministry however noted that the documents received from Pentagon proved that no separation of moderate opposition from the Jabhat al-Nusra terrorist group had been done.
The chief of Russia’s center for reconciliation of the warring parties in Syria, Vladimir Savchenko, said that Syria’s ‘moderate opposition’ was using the regime of cessation of activities to regroup its forces.
He said a total of 39 episodes of shelling at positions of Syrian government troops and self-defense units, and populated localities were reported in Syria in the past day.
“As many as 19 shelling episodes were reported from the province of Aleppo (the city came under shelling 16 times), eight episodes of shelling were reported from mountainous Latakia, six – from the province of Damascus, five – from Hama, and one – from Homs,” he said.
“The development of the situation proves that the ‘moderate opposition’ once again is using the ceasefire regime to restore its combat capabilities and regroup its forces in the provinces of Aleppo, Hama and Homs,” he said.
According to Savchenko, terrorist groups are showing increased activity. Thus, in violation of the agreement, opposition forces have not begun to pull out their weapons from the Castello road.
“So far, there is no information about a checkpoint at the Castello road’s easternmost end to let humanitarian cargoes reach quarters controlled by militants,” Savchenko noted.
The Russian reconciliation center on Thursday made several attempts to get in touch with the U.S. side using the direct exchange line but these attempts were to no avail. Hence, a written notification was referred to the American side to inform it of ‘moderate opposition’ groups’ non-fulfilment of the terms of the deal.