The US-led coalition has confirmed that its convoy was involved in an apparent car blast earlier in the day, while no of US servicemen have been injured.
“We can confirm a combined U.S. and Syrian partner force convoy was involved in an apparent VBIED attack today in Syria. There were no U.S. casualties. We will continue to review the situation and provide updates as appropriate,” the spokesperson said on Twitter.
Earlier in the day, the Syrian outlet SANA and the Kurdish Hawar news agency, a suicide blast has hit US-backed Kurdish fighters in the north-eastern Syrian town of al-Shaddadah.
The explosive device was hidden in a Hyundai car and was detonated by the driver at a checkpoint near the town.
Damaged armored vehicle in YPG/PKK checkpoint in Shadadi, Hasakah. pic.twitter.com/pEPU8AYMoB
— Levent Kemal (@leventkemaI) January 21, 2019
According to conflicting reports, at least 5 people have died as a result of the blast.
In December, US President Donald Trump announced his decision to withdraw roughly 2,000 US troops from Syria over the next several months, insisting that Washington can pull out as Daesh* had been defeated in the Arab country.
On 2 January, the US president said that Washington would protect the US-backed Kurdish forces in the country.