BEIRUT, LEBANON (10:00 P.M.) – The spokesperson for the Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) Kino Gabriel told Kurdistan 24 in a recent interview that Turkey will not be able to attack northeast Syria because the situation greatly differs than that of Afrin.
The SDF spokesperson told the publication that the U.S. observation posts in northern Syria have secured the area and blocked any potential cross-border hostilities.
“The United States has established observation points and they participated in establishing security here. I don’t think we are going to witness more attacks in the near future,” Gabriel said, adding that the observation posts allowed the SDF to concentrate their forces towards the Daesh fronts.
Gabriel blamed Turkey’s attacks last month for the Islamic State’s resurgence in several towns in the Euphrates River Valley.
“This allowed the SDF to push IS and to advance in some of the areas, after they halted their operation for some time due to Turkish attacks in the past,” he would add.
On Wednesday, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan announced that the Turkish military would be launching a new offensive east of the Euphrates in the coming days.
The Turkish leader said that the primary focus of the operation is to “clear out the terrorists” east of the Euphrates.