A UN panel of experts called for an international commission of inquiry on Yemen, saying the Saudi-led coalition waging war on the Arab impoverished country carried out 119 sorties that violated humanitarian law.
In a report released on Tuesday, the panel said the UN Security Council should consider setting up the inquiry to “investigate reports of violations of international humanitarian law and human rights law in Yemen by all parties and to identify the perpetrators of such violations.”
The panel said it had documented coalition strikes on civilian targets including refugee camps, weddings, buses, residential areas, medical facilities, schools, mosques, markets, factories, food warehouses and airports.
“Many attacks involved multiple air strikes on multiple civilian objects,” it said.
Yemen has been since March 26 under brutal aggression by Saudi-led coalition.
Thousands have been martyred and injured in the attack, with the vast majority of them are civilians.
Riyadh launched the attack on Yemen in a bid to restore power to fugitive president Abd Rabbu Mansour Hadi who is a close ally to Saudi Arabia.
More than 5,800 people have been killed and 27,000 wounded since then, according to UN figures.
About 60 percent of all civilian deaths and injuries were caused by air-launched explosives, the report said.
The experts documented at least three alleged cases of civilians fleeing residential bombings and being chased and shot at by helicopters.
More than 21 million people in Yemen — 82 percent of the population — are facing severe food shortages.
The dire humanitarian crisis is compounded by the Saudi blockade of ships carrying fuel, food and other essentials that are trying to reach Yemen.