Talks between Yemen’s warring factions were held on Friday in Kuwait with the aim to end the one-year war.
The talks are based on UN Security Council resolution 2216, which calls for the Houthi fighters to withdraw from all areas they have seized since 2014, and hand over their heavy weapons to the government.
Even though no agreed-on agenda has been reached, both parties will meet again to discuss a more permanent ceasefire. “Meetings in Kuwait had been constructive and the positive atmosphere was a step forward in efforts to end the conflict“, the United Nations envoy, Ismail Ould Cheikh Ahmed, said.
Saudi Arabia spearheads a coalition of ten Arab countries to fight Houthi rebels and forces loyal to former President Ali Abdullah Saleh. The coalition began conducting airstrikes ever since 26 March 2015.
The one-year war left more than 6,200 Yemenis dead; 2.5 million displaces, and triggered a dire humanitarian crisis.
A UN report issued on January 25 said the airstrikes account for more than 60% of civilians killed.