BEIRUT, LEBANON (11:30 P.M.) – Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan announced on Wednesday that Turkey has sent 35 soldiers to Libya in support of the Al-Wefaq government, but they will not participate in the battles.
In response to questions about the form of the Turkish military deployment in Libya, Erdogan was quoted by the Turkish newspaper, Hurriyet as saying that “Turkey will take charge of coordination. The soldiers will not participate in hostilities.”
On Monday, Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlüt Çavuşoglu said that Turkey would send military experts and technical teams to support the internationally recognized government in Libya. “The government, led by the president, will decide how and when this will happen,” he said.
Meanwhile, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said, “Turkish military units have begun to move to Libya to support the Government of National Accord,” noting that “Libyan National Accord Prime Minister Fayaz al-Sarraj asked for support from Turkey last month while his government is responding to an attack by the Haftar forces supported by Russia, Egypt, UAE and Jordan.”