BEIRUT, LEBANON (9:10 A.M.) – Information on the Syrian Arab Army’s order of battle for its ongoing operation against jihadist militias in the Harasta district of eastern Damascus has been unveiled.
On Monday, pro-government sources reported the Syrian Army’s current order of battle for its Harasta counter-offensive operation in eastern Damascus.
The sheer number of Syrian Army and allied paramilitary formations involved justifies reports made earlier on in the week of a massive build-up of pro-government forces in Harasta.
The formations in question have been identified as follows:
- 4th Mechanized Division;
- 105th and 106th Republican Guard Brigades;
- Damascus police & security forces (some linked to the Republican Guard);
- Qalamoun Shield Forces;
- 9th Armoured Division (storming battalions);
- 10th Armoured Division;
- 3rd Armoured Division;
- Local units of the National Defense Forces;
- Arab National Guard (multinational pro-government paramilitary group);
- Ground forces of the Syrian Arab Air Force Intelligence branch
- Interior Ministry forces; and
- Harasta Vehicle Base troops.
Whilst not all mentioned formations are deployed in east Damascus at full-strength, some or most of their key assault units are.