Powerful explosions shook the Yemeni capital Sunday, witnesses said, after the Saudi-led coalition vowed to press its air war following the missile strike by the Yemeni Missiles Unit that killed a hundred of coalition soldiers.
The United Arab Emirates had pledged to quickly avenge its heaviest ever military loss after 45 of its soldiers were killed in Friday’s missile attack, along with 10 Saudis and five Bahrainis, according to Gulf media.
Coalition warplanes struck points on the Nahdain and Fajj Attan hills and the neighboring presidential complex, south of Sanaa, as well as a headquarters for special forces.
Also targeted were areas in the northern neighborhoods of Sufan and Al-Nahda, forcing scores of residents to flee, the witnesses said.
Witnesses said Sunday’s bombardment was one of the heaviest since the air campaign began.
“The first strike after dawn prayers shook our house,” said Sadeq al-Juhayfi, a resident of Al-Haffa, southeast of Sanaa.
Witnesses in the area said explosions were still heard around midday at the place.
Meanwhile, normally bustling areas of the capital remained empty and shops were mostly shuttered.
Students taking exams at Abdulrazzaq al-Sanaani high school, in Hadda neighborhood, said they abandoned their tests and fled.
The Yemeni army and Popular Committees forces said Friday’s missile attack was “revenge” for six months of deadly air raids, but the coalition vowed there would be no let-up in its air war.
The coalition launched a wide-scale criminal bombing campaign that killed so far more than 4,500 people have been killed in the conflict, including hundreds of children, according to the United Nations, which has warned that Yemen is on the brink of famine.