SANA’A, YEMEN (7:10 P.M.) – Amin Jamaan, Secretary-General of the local council of Yemeni capital of Sana’a, declared state of emergency in the city due to the upsurge of cholera epidemic victims which comes amid complete siege imposed on Yemen on land, air and sea sharply worsening the situation. Adding insult to injury, majority of medical personnel in Sana’a hospitals has been unpaid since last October, as well as the rest of Yemen’s public servants .
Decision on state of emergency comes hours after the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) reported 11,000 suspected infection cases and 184 fatalities, with the numbers growing day by day. Cholera outbreak was first registered in Yemen 18 days ago.
Hospitals in Sana’a are practically unable to receive more patients, with wards and corridors already overcrowded. The situation is further aggravated by lack of necessary medical supplies and absence of proper equipment.
Well informed sources described the situation as disastrous.
Hussein Al-Matari, who came to Sana’a from a village in Amran province (190 km north of the capital), told Al Masdar news on Sunday night that three hospitals in Sana’a, namely Al-Thawra Hospital, Ibn Sinai and 22 May Medical Compounds, had been unable to receive his two cholera-infected relatives because all three hospitals were already filled beyond capacity.
Al-Matari added, that after intervention of some senior government officials, his relatives were finally admitted at Al-Thawra hospital. Their conditions are stable and now being under control after receiving treatment, but they are still in the hospital.
“There are up to four cholera patients being held on every single bed,” said ICRC’ Director of Operations, Dominik Stillhart, at a news conference in Sana’a, thus describing how deteriorating the situation is. He added,”There are people in the garden, and some even lay in their cars with the IV drip hanging from the window.”
Meanwhile, Yemeni Ministry of Health appealed urgently to all international and local organizations and all concerned parties urging them to address the worsening situation, which is threatening to result in an unprecedented health and humanitarian disaster.
Houthi political movement is also stepping up their efforts in battling cholera epidemic in Sana’a. Yemen’s local state news agency, Saba News, reported on Monday that Head of Supreme Political Council (SPC), Saleh Al Sammad, organized an urgent meeting with cabinet of ministers, while Prime Minister made a visit to Al Sabaeen hospital in Sana’a city.
Consiquently, cabinet of ministers decided to work in a permanent session stressing the necessity of full implementation of the capacities of the operating rooms, epidemiological monitoring in all hospitals, control of geographical spread of the epidemic and continuing work on the rapid production of intravenous solutions locally, while also quickly responding to all the efforts of international organizations.
Meanwhile, local activits on social media mocked some Houthi plasters on the streets of Sana’a which read: “Cholera is a gift of Trump to Yemeni people ahead of his visit to kingdom of Al-Saud [Saudi Arabia].”