Ceasefire in Yemen will be extended for seven days after it officially expires Monday, the head of the ousted government negotiation team said Sunday at UN-brokered talks in Switzerland.
“The truce will be extended for seven more days and will then be automatically extended if it is respected by the other party,” Foreign Minister in the exiled government, Abdel Malak al-Mekhlafi, told reporters in Bern, referring to the Yemeni army and the popular committees who are confronting the Saudi-led aggression against the Arab impoverished country.
The decision, at the request of fugitive president Abd Rabbu Mansour Hadi, was communicated to the United Nations, Mekhlafi said, noting that its automatic renewal had been part of the army and the committees’ commitment to respect Security Council Resolution 2216.
The resolution, adopted in April, calls on the revolutionary committees allies, to withdraw from territory captured last year including the capital Sanaa, and to lay down their weapons.
Mekhlafi also called for the release of five prisoners held by the revolutionaries including ousted Defense Minister Major-General Mahmoud al-Subaihi.
The revolutionaries cleansed Sanaa on September 2014 from al-Qaeda-linked terrorists who swept the capital, covered by Hadi’s militiamen. The Takfiris have since that time carried several suicide attacks across Yemen, especially in Sanaa, targeting Mosques and popular markets.
Yemen has been since March 26 under brutal aggression by Saudi-led coalition.
Thousands have been martyred and injured in the attack, with the vast majority of them are civilians.
Riyadh launched the attack on Yemen in a bid to restore power to fugitive Hadi who is a close ally to Saudi Arabia.
However, Yemeni army, backed by the committees has been responding to the aggression by targeting several Saudi border military posts and cleansing several areas across the country, especially the country’s south, from Hadi and al-Qaeda-linked militias.