BEIRUT, LEBANON (8:20 P.M.) – The Manbij Military Council told Russia’s Sputnik News Agency on Monday that claims of Turkish troops entering the city of Manbij in northeast Aleppo were false.
“As the Manbij Military Council, we have negotiated with the [US-led] international coalition for a week. We discussed the deployment of the Turkish patrols. Meanwhile, yesterday the last meeting between the international coalition and the Turks took place, and today Turkey has started [to deploy] patrols in the areas of the Euphrates Shield operation, but not inside Manbij,” the Spokesperson for the Manbij Military Council, MohammadAbu Adil, told Sputnik.
Earlier in the day, a Turkish military convoy was filmed by pro-opposition Halab Today TV entering northeastern Syria via the Al-‘Aoun Crossing.
The Turkish military then deployed their troops along the Al-Sajour line on the outskirts of Manbij city, per the agreement with the U.S. Coalition earlier this month.
Prior to this agreement, the Kurdish-led YPG forces had controlled Manbij since 2016, when their troops managed to expel the Islamic State (ISIS) terrorists.
Manbij is strategically located in northeast Aleppo near the Al-Raqqa Governorate’s provincial border.
With Manbij free of the YPG, the Turkish Armed Forces will likely shift their attention to Kobane and Tal Abyad, which are also under the control of the Kurdish forces.