Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov said on Thursday that the United Nations Security Council should express its fundamental stance on how to end the ongoing violence in Yemen without supporting with any of the sides in conflict.
“Unfortunately, the resolution was submitted after the dramatic events had already taken place and a Saudi-led coalition had launched a military operation against Yemen,” ITAR TASS news agency quoted Lavrov as saying.
Russia would prefer to see appeals made to the UN Security Council before any force could be used, the top Russian diplomat said after a draft resolution on the Yemen crisis had been submitted to the UN Security Council.
Lavrov said attempts were being made to coordinate the draft’s text which should not be aimed at supporting any of the sides in the Yemen conflict but should instead force Ansarullah movement, who are also called as Houthis, in southern Yemen to stop all military actions and persuade Saudi Arabia to take a pause in its military operation and suspend the air strikes.
“It is necessary that representatives of all the parties in Yemen, including the president, the Houthis and other political forces, sit down at the negotiating table as it was agreed long ago. I hope that this approach is going to be supported,” Lavrov said, according to ITAR TASS.