(TASS) Syrian Armed Forces have suspended combat operations in eastern Aleppo to enable withdrawal of a column of civilians from the city, Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said on Thursday on the sidelines of a conference of the Council of Foreign Ministers of the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE).
“Combat actions of the Syrian Army in eastern Aleppo are suspended today, as a yet another and the biggest one so far operation to evacuate the civilians willing to leave the place is underway there,” he said. “There are some 8,000 people in the column. That’s a huge operation and the withdrawal route is five kilometers long.”.
Sergei Lavrov added that Russia’s and US’ military experts and diplomats will meet in Geneva on December 10 to discuss the situation in Aleppo.
The minister said he had had a telephone conversation and two meetings with U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry in Hamburg. “An agreement was reached to organize a meeting between military experts and diplomats in Geneva on Saturday,” he said.
The United States seems to be sparing the terrorist organization Jabhat al-Nusra, trying to take blows from it at all talks, Russian minister added.
Note: It is noteworthy to mention that according to several reports, the Syrian Army units continued their military operation inside Sheikh Saeed district in southern part of remaining Aleppo pocket. However, no significant gains have been reported yet.