Paramedics rush a victim of a suicide bomb attack at Imam al-Sadeq Mosque, to the Amiri hospital in Al Sharq, Kuwait City, June 26, 2015. REUTERS/Stringer

Kuwait detained the owner of a car that took a bomber to Imam Sadek (AS) mosque to carry out the country’s worst ever militant attack, officials said on Saturday, as thousands calling for national unity turned out to bury some of the 27 martyred.

ISIL claimed responsibility for the suicide bombing against 2,000 worshippers praying at the Imam al-Sadek mosque on Friday.

Officials said the bombing was clearly meant to stir enmity between majority Sunnis and Shiites and harm the comparatively harmonious ties between the sects in Kuwait.

In a statement, the information ministry said Kuwait would face the situation with “unity and solidarity”. It reiterated what it called the government’s strong stance on the freedom of religion and opinion, noting these were rights protected by the constitution.

The interior ministry, which reported the vehicle owner’s arrest, said it was now looking for the driver who vanished shortly after Friday’s blast in Kuwait.

A security source told Reuters “numerous arrests” had been made in connection with Friday’s bombing.

At the burial site in the Sulaibikhat district, some waved Kuwaiti flags while others bore the large mourning banners.

Chants from the crowd included “Brothers of Sunni and Shia, we will not sell out our country,” “No Sunni, no Shia, we are one Islam”, “The martyrs are the beloved of God” and “Down with ISIL! Down with ISIL”.

One group of mourners said they had traveled from Qatif in Saudi Arabia where 21 people were killed by an ISIL suicide bombing in May.

Two Iranian nationals were among those killed, foreign ministry spokeswoman Marzieh Afkham was quoted as saying by Iranian state media on Saturday.

ALSO READ  Jordanian Army issues official statement over cause of massive explosion

Relatives of seven of those killed wept and prayed over their shrouded corpses at a mosque on Saturday, where they were waiting to be taken to the holy cities of Najaf and Karbala in Iraq for burial.

Interior Minister Sheikh Mohammed al Khaled al Sabah was quoted as saying by state news agency KUNA, “We will cut the evil hand that interferes with our homeland’s security.”

 

Al-Manar

Share this article:
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Notice: All comments represent the view of the commenter and not necessarily the views of AMN.

All comments that are not spam or wholly inappropriate are approved, we do not sort out opinions or points of view that are different from ours.

This is a Civilized Place for Public Discussion

Please treat this discussion with the same respect you would a public park. We, too, are a shared community resource — a place to share skills, knowledge and interests through ongoing conversation.

These are not hard and fast rules, merely guidelines to aid the human judgment of our community and keep this a clean and well-lighted place for civilized public discourse.

Improve the Discussion

Help us make this a great place for discussion by always working to improve the discussion in some way, however small. If you are not sure your post adds to the conversation, think over what you want to say and try again later.

The topics discussed here matter to us, and we want you to act as if they matter to you, too. Be respectful of the topics and the people discussing them, even if you disagree with some of what is being said.

Be Agreeable, Even When You Disagree

You may wish to respond to something by disagreeing with it. That’s fine. But remember to criticize ideas, not people. Please avoid:

  • Name-calling
  • Ad hominem attacks
  • Responding to a post’s tone instead of its actual content
  • Knee-jerk contradiction

Instead, provide reasoned counter-arguments that improve the conversation.