BEIRUT, LEBANON (4:00 P.M.) – The administration Karabakh Republic announced that death toll for their armed forces has reached 1,166 after more than a month of clashes.
On Thursday, the Republic said that 47 other soldiers have died in the fighting with Azerbaijan, bringing the total death toll among Armenian forces in the region to 1,166 since the outbreak of fighting on September 27.
This list is the second during the day that the administration of the Karabakh Republic published, as the first report said that 51 Armenian soldiers were killed in action.
Armenia previously announced that the Azerbaijani forces suffered much greater casualties in the conflict in the region, saying that the number of military deaths of Azerbaijan exceeded 6,000, but Baku repeatedly denied these claims.
On Wednesday, Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev alleged that the death toll among the Armenian forces in Karabakh exceeded 5,000, and stressed that his country will not announce its losses until the conflict is over.
On September 27, armed clashes erupted on the contact line between Azerbaijani and Armenian forces in the Karabakh region and its adjacent areas, in the most dangerous escalation between the two parties in more than 20 years, amid mutual accusations of starting the fighting and bringing in foreign mercenaries.
Against the background of these developments, the Azerbaijani government launched a massive attack on the Armenian forces in Karabakh, stressing that the only solution to the issue is the implementation of the relevant international resolutions which stipulate the return of “occupied lands to Azerbaijan.”
For his part, the Prime Minister of Armenia, Nikol Pashinyan, who announced the general mobilization in Armenia during the start of the escalation, stated that Karabakh is an Armenian land, stressing that Yerevan is studying the issue of recognizing the independence of the Karabakh unilaterally.