Damascus, Syria (2:00 A.M)- After numerous attacks as of late upon not only the civilian population of the Gaza Strip, but also Hamas by Israel, the response on the Palestinian side has been both rational and peaceful.
Since the beginning of the ‘Great Return March’, a non-violent demonstration calling for the Palestinian right of return, under UN resolution 194, a total of 49 peaceful demonstrators have been killed and over 8,000 injured, according to the Palestinian Ministry Of Health.
The names and ages of those killed during these non-violent demonstrations in Gaza, since the 30th of March, are as follows:
1) Wahid Nasrallah Abu Sammour, (27)
2) Mohammed Kamal Al-Najjar, (25)
3) Mohammed Naeem Abu Amr, (27)
4) Amin Mansour Abu Muammar, (22)
5) Ibrahim Salah Abu Shaar, (22)
6) Abdul Fattah Bahjat Abdul Nabi, (18)
7) Mahmoud Saadi Rahmi, (33)
8 ) Sari Walid Abu Odeh, (27)
9) Hamdan Ismail Abu Amsha, (29)
10) Jihad Ahmed Farina, (34)
11) Ahmed Ibrahim Ashour Odeh, (19)
12) Abdul Qader Murdi al-Hawajri, (42)
13) Jihad Zuhair Abu Jamous, (30)
14) Musab Zuhair Al – Saloul,(20) (Musab’s body is still held by the Israeli regime)
15) Bader Al – Sabbagh, (21)
16) Naji Abdullah Abu Hujayir, (25)
17) Mohammed al-Rabayi’a, (20) (His body is still held by the Israel)
18) Fares Alreqb, (29)
19) Shadi Hamdan Al – Kashif , (34)
20) Ahmed Arafa, (25)
21) Mujahid Nabil al – Khudari, (24)
22) Majdi Ramadan Shabat,
23) Alaa Yahya Al Zamili, (16)
24) Thaer Mohammed Rabaa, (30)
25) Hussein Mohammed Madi, (16)
26) Osama Khamis Qudeeh, (38)
27) Ibrahim al-‘Er, (20)
28) Sidqi Abu Attiwi, (45)
29) Mohammed Saeed Saleh, (33)
30) Yasser Murtaja, (30) (journalist)
31) Hamza Abdel Aal, (20)
32) Marwan Qudeeh, (45)
33) Abdullah Al Shehri, (30)
34) Mohamed Hjaila, (31)
35) Islam Harazallah, (28)
36) Ahmed A. Aqel, (25)
37) Mohammed Ayyoub, (15)
38) Sa’ad A. Taha, (29)
39) Ahmed Athamna, (24)
40) Abdullah Shamly, (20)
41) Said Mahmoud Wahba, (18)
42) Ahmed Abu Hussain, (25) (Journalist)
43)cMohammed Amin Al-Maqid, (21)
44) Khalil Naem Mustapha Atta, (22)
45) Abdul al-Salam Baker, (29)
46) Azzam Awaed, (14)
47) Anas Abu Aser (19)
48) Bahaa Abdel Rahman Qadih (23)
49) Mohammed Ahmed Abu Rida (20)
Not only have non-violent demonstrators been targeted, but also Hamas itself. Israel have launched airstrikes day in and day out, against what it calls “Hamas positions”, to which Hamas have not actually responded to.
On the 5th of May, a booby-trapped telecommunications box killed 6 members of the al-Qassam brigades (armed wing of Hamas), Hamas called this a heinous crime carried out by Israel against the resistance. Despite the fact that Israel killed 6 Hamas fighters and also launched airstrikes that same day against positions in Northern Gaza, Hamas did not respond.
The week prior to this Israel also conducted strikes against six different locations within the Gaza Strip, after launching airstrikes into boats in Gaza’s port (Gaza City). Preceding these attacks were also multiple strikes carried out during the days and weeks prior, to which only once did a armed group respond, the confrontation – actually initiated by Israel – resulted in an artillery strike which killed and wounded the fighters, no further action was taken.
In the event that Israel initiates a large scale bombardment and confrontation with Hamas in Gaza – perhaps using Iran as a smokescreen as the likes of Norman Finkelstein have suggested – it is important to understand the actions that have been carried out by the Israeli Regime.
Hamas have even been attempting to push for a truce with Israel, as was reported by Haaretz News as they picked up on the Hamas press releases that seemed to allude to the truce.
Instead of engaging, in a peaceful way, Hamas, they have continued to pursue a racist policy which suggests the only language that they can speak to Palestinians is violence.
Whilst the world was distracted on the 30th of April with Netanyahu’s Iran spat, the Israeli Knesset was busy passing a bill that has now given the power to Netanyahu to launch a war without Knesset approval.
So as the 70th anniversary of the Nakba emerges, the US embassy is moved to Jerusalem and prior to this the final decision by Trump is made as to the fate of the Iran Nuclear Deal, we can expect further Israeli crimes in the illegally besieged Gaza Strip.