BEIRUT, LEBANON (8:30 A.M.) – In a report released by the New York Times, the publication alleges that the Israel is responsible for the explosion at the Iranian nuclear facility last Thursday.
Citing an unnamed “Middle East intelligence official”, the report said the explosion was caused by a “powerful bomb” that was detonated at the Natanz nuclear facility in Iran.
According to the report, however, this explosion was not connected with the two other blasts that rocked the Islamic Republic last week.
The publication also cited a member of the the Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC), who allegedly confirmed the blast at the Natanz nuclear facility.
The IRGC source said Iranian officials “have considered the possibility” that “a cruise missile or a drone” was used to attack Natanz, but saw a bomb scenario as more likely.
“The episode will probably accelerate plans to move more of Iran’s most sensitive facilities underground”, the IRGC member reportedly said.
Iranian officials said the nuclear facility was damaged during the explosion, but they affirmed that none of the substances at the site have polluted the air.
While some reports have claimed Israel was behind this explosion at the Natanz nuclear facility, the Iranian authorities have yet to reveal the cause of the blast.
Iran is expected to release a statement later this week about the cause of the explosion; however, it should be noted that the Noor News Agency, which is affiliated with Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps, said the explosion was likely due to a foreign attack.