SANA’A, YEMEN (3:25 P.M.) – Forces loyal to the Saudi-led Arab coalition lost their last strongholds in Juban district of Dhala province in southern Yemen, as Houthi insurgents and allied Yemeni Army units imposed full control over the district.
A military source told Al-Masdar News on Monday that the district of Juban is under complete control of the Army and Houthi popular commitees. This became possible thanks to a powerful attack that Houthis and allies had earlier conducted on the remaining points held by Saudi-backed forces in the outskirs of Juban city.
Speaking to local media outlet, Al Murasel, a field source said that a large-scale military operation to fully recapture the district began a few days ago, with Army units and Houthis making significant progress amid the collapse of Saudi loyalist defenses. Over the past five days of fighting, dozens of coalition fighters were killed and wounded.
Full control over Juban district is a major victory for Houthis and Army units loyal to Yemeni government based in Sana’a.
Violent battles between Houthis and Saudi-backed forces of the exiled Yemeni president Abdurabbu Mansour Hadi have continued for more than two years now, with Saudi-led coalitions “Operation Decisive Storm” failing to achieve its goals of reinstating Hadi in power.