BEIRUT, LEBANON (11:40 A.M.) – The Hezbollah tunnels that the Israeli Defense Forces (IDF) are targeting in southern Lebanon are “old and deserted”, the Al-Joumhouria newspaper reported on Saturday morning.
“The tunnels that Israel and the UNIFIL are talking about are old and deserted, more than half of which have collapsed a long time ago,” a security source told Al-Joumhouria on the condition of anonymity.
“The Israeli enemy has already announced long time ago that they discovered these tunnels but did not make a fuss about it because it is old and tattered. However, Israel is using these tunnels today for political gains no secret to anyone,” the Al-Joumhouria source continued.
“The Lebanese authorities are insisting on non existence of any new usable tunnels. They are waiting for the UNIFIL’s official report to build on the matter,” he said.
Earlier this week, the Israeli Defense Forces (IDF) launched “Operation Northern Shield” to target the Hezbollah tunnels that allegedly stretched as far as the Upper Galilee region.