Saudi-led coalition air strikes on rebel-held security buildings in western Yemen have killed at least 60 people, many of them inmates buried under the rubble of a detention centre.

The strikes late Saturday came just hours after other coalition raids hit three residential buildings in the southwest, killing 17 civilians.

The Shiite Huthi rebels on Sunday said a new UN peace plan aimed at ending the country’s 19-month-old war was a “basis for discussion” despite “fundamental flaws”.

Yemen’s President Abedrabbo Mansour Hadi on Saturday, however, rejected the proposal aimed at ending fighting between forces loyal to his government and the rebels and their allies.

The war escalated in March 2015 when the coalition launched a military campaign to push back the rebels, after they seized the capital in 2014 and then advanced on other parts of Yemen including the province of Hodeidah.

In the latest deadly strikes in Hodeidah, which the rebels have controlled since late 2014, coalition warplanes hit a rebel-held security compound in the town of Zaidia.

“Sixty people in total were killed and dozens were wounded,” a health official said.

Most of the victims were anti-rebel detainees who were being held among 100 inmates in two cells at the detention centre, he said.

It remains unclear why the coalition would hit a detention centre holding anti-rebel inmates.

– ‘Lack of medical supplies’ –

AFP footage from the site showed the bloodied limbs and bodies of the victims covered in dust and buried under the rubble as sirens wailed nearby.

“We were about to go to sleep when an air strike targeted us,” said one wounded man at a hospital in the area.

ALSO READ  Yemen's Ansarallah forces release first video of new long-range missile that hit Saudi Arabia

“We ran away and a second air strike hit us again,” he said, as medics rushed around bringing in wounded victims covered in blood.

The rebel-controlled sabanews.net also gave a toll of 60 killed and 38 wounded, adding that “dead bodies are still being retrieved” from under the rubble.

Coalition warplanes over the area “are hampering attempts to save the victims and retrieve bodies”, sabanews.net reported.

“The number of victims could rise further due to the lack of medical supplies,” it said, quoting a medical source who blamed the coalition’s “blockade”.

A lack of ambulances “has made attempts to transfer critical cases to hospitals in the city of Hodeidah more difficult”, the source said.

International aid groups have repeatedly voiced concern over the rising need for aid in Yemen, where malnutrition has increased in the past few months.

Elsewhere on Saturday, strikes killed 17 civilians and completely destroyed three residential buildings in a town southeast of third city Taez, sabanews.net said.

A local official loyal to Hadi’s government said the air strikes in the town of Salo had hit three adjacent homes by mistake.

– UN plan ‘basis for discussion’ –

But the coalition — which has come under pressure over the high civilian death toll from its bombing campaign — has so far not commented on either of the attacks.

The conflict has killed nearly 7,000 people, mostly civilians, since March 2015, according to the United Nations, which has been struggling to convince the warring parties to implement a ceasefire and revive a stalled political process.

AFP / AFPYemen : dozens killed in air raids

The rebels — who are allied with troops who have remained loyal to former president Ali Abdullah Saleh — on Sunday said the latest UN peace plan was a “basis for discussion” despite “fundamental flaws”.

ALSO READ  Ansarallah forces score massive advance in northern Yemen: video

They said the plan by UN envoy Ismail Ould Cheikh Ahmed did not include a “total, permanent ceasefire” or foresee lifting the blockade against areas they control.

The contents of the roadmap, which Hadi rejected on Saturday, have not been made public.

But informed sources say it calls for agreement on naming a new vice president after the rebels withdraw from Sanaa and other cities and hand over heavy weapons to a third party.

Hadi would then transfer power to the vice president who would appoint a new prime minister to form a government in which the north and south of Yemen would have equal representation.

The president has slammed the UN proposal as one that “rewards the putschists while punishing the Yemeni people and legitimacy”.

Advertisements
Share this article:
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Notice: All comments represent the view of the commenter and not necessarily the views of AMN.

All comments that are not spam or wholly inappropriate are approved, we do not sort out opinions or points of view that are different from ours.

This is a Civilized Place for Public Discussion

Please treat this discussion with the same respect you would a public park. We, too, are a shared community resource — a place to share skills, knowledge and interests through ongoing conversation.

These are not hard and fast rules, merely guidelines to aid the human judgment of our community and keep this a clean and well-lighted place for civilized public discourse.

Improve the Discussion

Help us make this a great place for discussion by always working to improve the discussion in some way, however small. If you are not sure your post adds to the conversation, think over what you want to say and try again later.

The topics discussed here matter to us, and we want you to act as if they matter to you, too. Be respectful of the topics and the people discussing them, even if you disagree with some of what is being said.

Be Agreeable, Even When You Disagree

You may wish to respond to something by disagreeing with it. That’s fine. But remember to criticize ideas, not people. Please avoid:

  • Name-calling
  • Ad hominem attacks
  • Responding to a post’s tone instead of its actual content
  • Knee-jerk contradiction

Instead, provide reasoned counter-arguments that improve the conversation.

newest oldest most voted
Notify of
Daeshbags Sux
Member
Master
Upvoted
Rookie Mentor
Commenter
Daeshbags Sux

When you know al-Jubeir says KSA is for a cease-fire :
http://www.arabnews.com/node/999016/saudi-arabia
They do another slaughter… Bloodthirsty and cynical, this is the Saudi regime!
Why no one dares to impose a no fly zone over KSA like it was made in Iraq and Libya?

PaulHalo117
Member
Regular
Commenter
Upvoted
PaulHalo117

At least it was prisoners that died instead of innocent civilians this time.

Daeshbags Sux
Member
Master
Upvoted
Rookie Mentor
Commenter
Daeshbags Sux

They lives matter as any others! You can bet more than one only stole food!
Houthis should consider the same thing US did during WW2 to anybody in prison : fighting the Saudis… Anyway, if it’s to die after a KSA bombing, better fight’em!