The UNICEF representative in Yemen, Julien Harneis, stated on Wednesday that Yemeni children are paying the heaviest price for the conflict in their country.
According to the Yemeni media specialist, Mohammed Al-Asaadi, 9 million Yemeni children are struggling to get access to safe water.
— Mohammed Al-Asaadi (@alasaadim) August 1, 2016
Meanwhile, on August 7th, UNICEF announced the death of at least 4 more children in the Nihm District of Sanaa after the Houthi and Hadi forces exchanged hostilities for several hours.
Harneis said that since the escalation of the conflict in March 2015, UNICEF was able to verify that 1,121 children had been killed and another 1,650 were injured.
“The actual numbers are likely to be much higher,” he added.
“UNICEF urges all parties to the conflict in Yemen to adhere to international humanitarian law and keep children out of harm’s way,” said Harneis.
Meanwhile at UN Headquarters in New York, Deputy Spokesperson Farhan Haq, responding questions from reporters, told the daily press briefing that Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon is deeply concerned about reports of increased fighting between various parties in Hajjah, Sa’ada and Sana’a provinces, including over the past few days.
“We are unable at this time to independently verify reports of civilian casualties. What is clear, however, is that the reported escalation in fighting exacerbates the already dire humanitarian and human rights situation and the suffering of the Yemeni people,” he added.