Egyptian lawmaker Mustafa Bakri has issued a tweet about Haftar’s alleged death, writing that “The departure of Field Marshal Haftar, commander-in-chief of the Libyan Armed Forces, is a great loss. He was a common denominator among the honorable sons of Libya.”
The Libya Observer has also reported that Haftar passed, citing diplomatic sources.
Earlier, Libyan National Army political administration head Hussein al-Obeidi said that Haftar had left France and returned to Benghazi on Friday, according to the EREM News portal. Al-Obeidi said that he had personally met Field Marshal Hafter upon his return to Libya, and said that the field marshal’s health was “excellent” and that he was “in good physical shape.”
The official also denied that Haftar had suffered a stroke, calling such informations “rumors spread by media supported by political Islam.”
This week, Le Monde reported that Haftar may ave been sent for urgent treatment at a Paris hospital. According to the newspaper, the 75-year-old military commander, presumably suffering a stroke, was taken by plane to Paris via Jordan. LNA officials said however that Haftar had gone to Jordan for political negotiations.
Earlier Friday, a source said to be close to the matter told Reuters that Haftar had been treated in a Paris hospital. The source declined to comment on the general’s condition.