Australia announced on Wednesday it will immediately provide an additional 7 million Australian dollars ($6.4 million) to help the international response to the Ebola outbreak in West Africa.
The country had previously committed AU$1 million to the international response to the viral disease outbreak that has killed at least 2,400 people.
The fresh funds include AU$2 million requested by Britain to help that country deliver medical services in Sierra Leone, Foreign Minister Julie Bishop said in a statement.
Another AU$2.5 million will go to the World Health Organization’s consolidated regional response, and AU$2.5 million will be given to Medecins Sans Frontieres for medical services, she said.
“Health systems in Liberia, Sierra Leone and Guinea are under severe strain, and the United Nations assesses that these countries are facing a humanitarian emergency,” Ms. Bishop said.