Thirty Russian children will be evacuated from Iraq to Russia on December 30, Chechen leader Ramzan Kadyrov said on his Telegram channel on Friday.
Russian President Vladimir Putin said at his annual news conference last week that Moscow would continue the effort on bringing Russian children from Syria. He noted that Kadyrov was conducting this effort.
“On December 30, the children will be taken from Iraq to Russia. A plane with 30 boys and girls onboard will land at one of the airfields in the Moscow Region. These are three children from Chechnya, one from Moscow and Penza, and 24 others from Dagestan,” Kadyrov said.
According to the Chechen head, this is “the result of a tremendous effort carried out throughout the entire year” at the instruction of the Russian president. “This activity was not halted for a single day, but any word or incautious step could harm it. So, no details were revealed,” Kadyrov said.
He thanked Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov, Defense Minister Sergey Shoigu and Russian Presidential Commissioner for Children’s Rights Anna Kuznetsova for their assistance.
Earlier, more than 100 women and children – natives of Chechnya, Dagestan, the Tver Region and other Russian regions along with citizens of Uzbekistan and Kazakhstan – had been evacuated to Russia due to efforts of the Chechen authorities.
A working group headed by Russian senator Ziyad Sabsabi, an envoy of Chechnya’s leader for the Middle East and North Africa, was tasked to return Russian nationals from the Middle East.
More than 2,000 women and children are still waiting to return home from Syria and Iraq where they had been taken by their husbands and fathers recruited by terrorist groups.