Beirut, SANA – Deputy Prime Minister, Foreign and Expatriates Minister Walid al-Moallem said on Wednesday there is yet no full-fledged initiative for solving the crisis in Syria.
“There are only ideas that were carried by the Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif and discussed with the Syrian side, who had earlier discussed with the Russian side similar ideas,” added al-Moallem in statements to the Lebanese al-Joumhouria newspaper published on Wednesday.
He noted that Zarif has taken upon himself to complete these ideas and work for selling them.
Al-Moallem made it clear that the Syrian principles in dealing with any initiative focus on maintaining the Syrian state’s sovereignty all over its territory and having the dialogue held exclusively among the Syrians without preconditions and letting the Syrian people be the judge through referendum concerning any possible agreement.
In his comments on the latest statement of the UN Security Council on Syria, al-Moallem said the UN Special Envoy for Syria Staffan de Mistura seems to be waiting for October when the U.S. Congress and the Iranian Shura Council are expected to approve Iran’s nuclear deal, which would reflect on resolving the crisis in Syria.
“Syria’s enemies are in critical situation, and that’s why they have started to try to find solutions. However, they are not yet defeated and not driven to despair, which is why the war on Syria will continue until the Americans and those on their side believe in solutions,” al-Moallem said.
Al-Moallem declined to confirm or deny that a meeting took place between Maj. Gen. Ali Mamlouk and Saudi Deputy Crown Prince Mohammed Bin Salman.
He made it clear that the conditions made by some sides that Syria abandon the Lebanese Hezbolhah Resistance Movement and Iran are totally unacceptable, noting that his recent visit to Oman was upon an invitation by his Omani counterpart.