Turksih security forces reportedly killed 3,100 Kurdish fighters in 2015, President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said Thursday, vowing no let-up in a relentless offensive to oust them from towns and mountains in the southeast.
His remarks, which were part of a televised New Year’s address, come as alarm grows over the humanitarian impact of curfews in the southeast to back up the latest military campaign against the outlawed Kurdistan Workers Party (PKK) that began earlier this month.
“In 2015, 3,100 ‘terrorists’ were neutralized in operations at home and abroad,” he said referring to the military operations on PKK strongholds in southeastern Turkey and northern Iraq.
“Our security forces are flushing out the ‘terrorists’ from every inch of the mountains and the towns and will continue to do so,” he said.
“Our fight.. will continue until the very end,” added Erdogan.
It was not possible to independently verify the toll. Erdogan said another 200 members of the security forces had been killed, as well as an unspecified number of civilians.
Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoglu also chaired a four-and-a-half hour meeting of top government and security figures that agreed to continue fighting the PKK “in the most comprehensive and decisive fashion,” a statement said.